Update on my furry son

Firstly, thank you so much to all of you who have asked after my furry boy Rusty… 

It’s been quite a week, but the good news is that we brought him home last Friday! 🙂

He spent much of last week at the vet. Last Monday, the day of my last post, after his x-ray revealed the ‘large mass’ in his abdomen, Mr A. and I had a night of pure anxiety, thinking that he may have been at the end of the road… after all, Rusty is due to turn 12 in 2 weeks, so having to put him through surgery (which we weren’t even sure was an option) is not ideal.

However, come Tuesday, an ultrasound was done which revealed that his spleen was severely enlarged, and that surgery *was* an option. Of course we were extremely heartened by this news and signed off on the surgery for Wednesday. On Tuesday afternoon I was allowed to go and visit with my boy – he was very woozy and so I spent three hours with him asleep on my foot:



Wednesday was pretty awful, just waiting around for the call to say he was out of surgery and that (we hoped) it had gone well. Trying to work on my thesis was near impossible, but I was proud of myself for getting some work done under the circumstances. He did indeed come through the surgery well, and not only was his spleen removed, but also part of his small intestine. They sent these extra ‘bits’ to the lab, and we are *still* waiting for the results…. but the impression I get from the vets is that if the ‘mass’ was more sinister, it would have burst long before we even had the chance to take him in. Still – *fingers crossed* we should have the results tomorrow.



This was Rusty after the surgery when we visited on Thursday. Poor little fella, he was all wrapped up like a bandaged bear (the leg bandage was to stop him chewing out his drip, as he did on the first night of his stay) – his stubborn nature on full display 🙂 He made quite a name for himself with the vet nurses with his wicked ways (soiling his bed, and ‘chatting’ to them) – everyone up there is on a first name basis with Rusty now 🙂

Thankfully we were able to bring our boy home last Friday – and within literally, 5 seconds of entering the house, he had marked his territory on the kitchen floor, as if to say “I’m Back!!!”. It was a real laugh out loud moment 🙂

He seems to be back to his normal self the last few days, hoovering down the cooked chicken, trying to steal food off our other dog, and sleeping in his bed in the sun. His checkup today went well and he had his bandage removed. The vet who performed the surgery gave me a truly disgusting picture of what they took out of him, it is fascinating how large the spleen had become (and also, really gross). I won’t be posting those here, don’t worry!

I must also say a huge thank you to Greencross Vets in Petersham, for being so kind, loving and skilled at looking after Rusty – highly recommended if you need someone to attend to your furry kids!

Here he is, back on the couch where he belongs:




So now I just have everything crossed that his test results come back clear and we can get on with the business of cuddles on the couch, afternoon walks and plenty of treats. Thanks again to all of you for asking after my boy!

Renee x




4 responses to “Update on my furry son

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s